Anonymous said: I love your Disneyfied Xena drawings! Those would make awesome magnets... any plans on selling cards or prints?
hmm, i’ve never considered something like that, but that’s actually not a bad idea! if you guys really want i’ll try and set something up on redbubble or somewhere else!
Anonymous said: why do you draw xena's skin so dark
Thanks for your vaguely racist ask! I get this question every once and a while and it’s about time I finally answer: for various reasons
- Xena is from ancient Greece. Believe it or not, the ancient Greeks (and modern day Greeks) were(are) not the super pale people that your history books written by white guys would lead you to believe (crazy I know). Grecian skin was (is) generally olive tone (not white), though many people in Greek territories ranged from fair to pretty darn brown, buddy.
- Xena is a warrior who spends most all of her life outside, where the sun is!
- Lucy Lawless may have portrayed Xena in the TV series, but she is not actually the character Xena. Shes an actress. In the beginning of the show her skin was much darker than it was as the show progressed. Could be because that’s just her and she just got less sun, or because, you know- Hollywood.
- Although is Xena drawn differently by every artist who has ever drawn her, most comic artists (and artists like me who just like to draw Xena for funsies) give her a tanned olive complexion.
- I am a person of color! My skin tone is around the same tone I make hers. Guess it’s “so dark” of me, but I, along with many other people of color, really really dig when our heroes look more like us! Representation is important anon, it’s the 21st century and whitewashing is gross. In fact, the upcoming Hercules (probably the most famous of Greek heroes) movie is staring a man of color! (love you, D.J.) It’s gonna be the most realistic portrayal of Hercules to date. Go see it! I know I am
Anonymous said: Dear much resspected artist, Currently I am in awe of your drawing of the Holy Trinity. Having no artistic talent of my own, I was wondering if you would allow me to print it onto a shirt. This shirt would not be sold for profit, just happily owned by me. Please consider this, it truly is a great drawing
Thank you! and thanks for asking first. Sure, if it’s only for you, go ahead!